>

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Journal milestone update

I realize that it's been a while since I've logged an update since we have been busy and I've been too exhausted at night to create a post. But, I really need to capture what is going on with us so that I don't forget all the milestones. After all, this is my journal and I want to make sure I document this stuff so I can look back later on and see how far we have come!
  • Emma is a ROCKSTAR lately when it comes to speech therapy. No, she's not talking - yet! - but she is identifying items very accurately lately. We use a grooved platform communicator with message and lights (pictured below) and place three different objects on the platform, tell Emma what each object is and then ask her vocally without any American Sign Language signs "where is (object)?". Emma scans the three objects and then pushes the switch for the object. This is a difficult task for Emma because a.) she is deaf and hears with a cochlear implant, b.) it's hard for her to move her arms/hands to push the switch, and c.) we are constantly introducing new objects to increase her vocabulary. Yesterday, Emma got 10 out of 10 objects correct! There was a repeat (to try and trip her up a bit) included in the 10 and she got that accurate. She *almost* got two wrong, but self-corrected herself and selected the right object. This is proof that Emma is understanding everything we are saying - not that I needed it, mind you, but insurance companies like the documented proof to continue therapy services. Emma is a ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!
  • Emma is starting to make more difficult sounds. She has sounds that have two syllables and also makes sounds louder, softer, and longer. This takes a lot of breathing coordination and it shows that her trunk is getting stronger and letting her do more with her voice. Still no words, but I believe they will eventually come when Emma is ready.
  • Emma has sat independently! If you put her in an indian style sitting position and her arms on her legs and then take your hands off of her, she has sat in that position for up to 45 seconds! Wow! She is getting much stronger and I expect that her sitting will get better and better in a short period of time.
  • I completed my Photoshop CS3 online course and gained a lot of valuable information that I hope to use in the business I want to launch before the end of the year. I'm now taking a Create Your Own Website online course and find it good so far. I think this is essential for me to learn and I'm glad I found this course.
  • I was captivated by a new book that I started and finished the same day- Blue Sky July by Nia Wyn. The story is the journal of a mother raising a child with severe cerebral palsy. It is raw, it is at times heartbreaking and uplifiting, it is real. It shows how a child that is loved can triumph over the most extreme challenges and I highly recommend it.
  • Julia is so interested in writing and spelling lately. She has been writing her name for a while and has recently taken to writing Emma, Puppy, Mommy, Daddy and Finnegan. She needs a bit of help with these, but she just loves to write words. She also loves to make crafts. She brings a homemade present of picture to give to someone almost everywhere we go. Although she still loves watching Barney, she has started to prefer to watch Caillou. We are in the middle of the admissions process for pre-K for Julia and she had a play date at the school last weekend and blew us away with how much energy and excitement she had when we arrived. She couldn't wait to see the classroom and play with the other children and leave us behind. It sure seems like she is breaking out of her shyness!
  • Julia's soccer season - with Chris as the coach - is finally over. We didn't know that her games would be at 8am on Saturday's when we signed up. Julia is NOT a morning person and it was hard to motivate her to get up and out on the field by 8am so we are not sorry to see the season end. I think we'll stick to dance for a while. She has a passion for dancing!
  • Chris continues to enjoy running and is going to do a 10K (~6miles) this weekend. He has his sights set on running a 10 mile race in the spring and he is well on his way to that goal.

1 Comments from readers:

Anonymous said...

Wow, there's so much good news in this post, I don't know where to even start! Emma just totally rocks, she's doing so well across the board that it's just amazing. How you are launching your own business with everything else that you do is sort of beyond me. I think I know where Emma gets that hard-working and fighting spirit from! Jeez!

In our world, Ethan was diagnosed with autism this week. Now it's official. I was pretty upset even though the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. But I'm feeling more optimistic with each day. Gotta count your blessings.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving!!!